Audi India has launched the A8L with a more a powerful 4.2 litre diesel engine today. The range-topping V8 TDI motor produces 350 BHP of peak-power @4000 RPM and 800Nm of peak torque @ 1750 RPM. This new oil burner is mated to an 8-speed tip-tronic gearbox and will sit above the current 3.0 TDI Quattro in-terms of market positioning.
Currently, the A8L flagship sedan is available in three engine specs:-
- 3.0 V6 TDI Diesel
- 4.2 V8 FSI Petrol
- And the top-end 6.3 W12 Petrol.
The new V8 4.2 TDI is priced at Rs. 1,00,75,000 rupees (ex-showroom Maharashtra) and has been positioned between both the petrol variants.
Pointers from the Press Conference:
- Audi India sold 680 units in the month of July. The German-carmaker has set an annual target of 8,000 units and has already sold 4,680 cars till-date in 2012
- Audi’s sales have grown by 42.8 % in the last 6 months; the company further plans to strengthen its grip on the market by opening more dealerships by the year end
- Abhishek Bachchan is the first customer of the new A8L 4.2 and the company will hand-over the keys of his customized car later today
- The company plans to begin with local assembly of the Q7 SUV by end of 2012. The A8 however, will continue to be imported as the aluminium construction of the sedan makes it difficult to assemble locally
- The new dealership in Navi Mumbai is the 4th in Maharashtra and 20th in India; Audi is also set to open a new-dealership in Goa
- Expect some more launches from the German car-maker by the year-end