German luxury car-maker, Audi, today announced the launch of the petrol version of its compact crossover – the Audi Q3 – in India. Like the diesel-powered Q3, the new 2.0 TFSI engine will be available in two-trim levels at a starting price of Rs. 27,37,000 (ex-showroom Maharashtra).
The timing of the launch may come as a surprise to many, considering that the BMW X1 refresh launches tomorrow. Nevertheless, the petrol-Q3 has long been under the speculation radar and although we were expecting it to drop the Quattro moniker, the entry-level Q3 retains its all-wheel drive mechanism.
The 2.0 TFSi – four-cylinder motor here is a familiar one and is tuned to make 211HP and 300NM of torque between 1,800 and 4,900 RPM. The diesel car’s, seven-speed S-Tronic transmission also does duty here and propels the car from 0-100kph in a claimed 6.9 seconds and to a top speed of 230kph. Fuel-efficiency fan-boys won’t be disappointed either as this engine is rated at 11.72kpl (ARAI certified).
“We completed the first round of 500 bookings of Audi Q3 within just five days of its market launch in June last year. Never before has any luxury SUV received such an overwhelming response as the Audi Q3. In keeping with our top-down strategy, the Audi Q3 truly embodies the ‘Q’ DNA with the quattro permanent all-wheel drive and S tronic dual clutch transmission, which are just some of the features that it inherits from the highly successful Audi Q7 and Audi Q5. I am confident that the addition of this powerful 2.0 TFSIq engine will further delight the Audi enthusiast who is constantly looking for more power and an even more exhilarating drive,” said Michael Perschke, Head, Audi India.
The Q3 has been a major contributor to the company’s sales-figure showdown with the rival/current luxury market leader, BMW India. While the petrol-Q3 won’t fetch any major volumes, it will definitely bring down the ownership costs that are associated with the diesel Audi’s.
Quick Glance at the Audi Q3 2.0 TFSIq (Petrol):
- Priced at INR 27,37,000/- onwards (ex-showroom Maharashtra)
- Now available at all 25 Audi dealerships in India
- Most powerful compact-luxury SUV in India
- 2.0 TFSIq, in-line, four-cylinder motor with 155 kW (211 hp)
- 0 to 100 km/h in 6.9 seconds; top-speed 230 kph
- Start-stop system to enhance fuel-efficiency; 11.72 km/l
- The 2.0 TFSIq engine has been voted the ‘International Engine of the Year’ in its category for 5 consecutive years
- Price-difference between the Q3 2.0 TDIq and 2.0 TFSIq – Rs. 4,97,236/- (ex-showroom Maharashtra)