Maruti’s bread and Butter Car, The Maruti Suzuki Alto has clocked 20 Lakh total sales since its introduction way back in 2000. The Alto which has been the highest selling car in India for the last 7 years took just 3 years and six months to sell the 2nd million as compared to 8 year and three months for the first million sales.
Alto has been in the market for almost 12 years now but regular upgrades and facelifts have kept it going. Such has been the dominance of the car that the Hyundai Eon which is its closest competitor sells less than half of the Alto’s sales figures. Frugal engine, easy to drive handling manners, spot on pricing, low cost of ownership along with Maruti’s legendary service are the attributes that makes this car the best for the first time buyers.
Alto won over many buyers as it was considered better value than the now phased out Maruti’s own 800. Also the introduction of the Maruti Suzuki Alto K10 with a larger k series 1-litre engine in 2010 ensured that the buyers who wanted better performance and features where not disappointed.
Maruti has the new 800 in the pipeline and is expected to be launched soon. It will be interesting to see what happens to the Alto after the launch of the new 800. Maruti though have ruled out the possibility of the new car replacing the Alto.
Alto range: Encouraged by the customer confidence in Alto, Maruti Suzuki has successfully extended the Alto brand by introducing a powerful K-Series engine in an Alto K-10 avatar in August 2010.
At the same time Maruti Suzuki has also introduced a CNG variant of the Alto.
Superior Mileage: On road Alto offers an unmatched fuel efficiency of 19.7 kmpl and 20.2 kmpl for Alto K-10 variant. In addition, numerous mileage rallies across the country have clearly established Alto as a winner with record mileage delivered to owners.
Alto key highlights
• World largest selling small car for two consecutive years
• Second Maruti Suzuki brand to sell over 2 million. Maruti 800 was the first brand to sell over 2 million
• Maruti Suzuki Alto reached 2 million mark, faster: in just 11 years and 9 months.
• Superior fuel efficiency ,compact sleek design, make Alto the preferred car for first time buyer
• Fastest to sell 10 lakh units in the domestic market. Within 8 years and 2 months
• The next ten lakh units came much faster within three years and 6 months
• India‘s largest selling small car (domestic since 2005 -06).
• First car to cross cumulative 5 lakh domestic sales figure (in 6 years).
• The achievement of the next 5 lakh unit sales – in just 2 years and 2 months.
• First car brand in India to cross 3,00,000 unit sales mark domestic sale in a single financial year achievement FY2010-11 and again in 2011-12.
Awards & Accolades
• 2000: Winner of the “Overdrive most exciting new car of the year¿”
• 2001: BS Motoring Car of the year 2001
• 2002: Overdrive Car of the year 2002
• 2006: Winner of the EFFIE award for Boondein campaign First Indian car to undergo a 24 hrs endurance test and set 13 national records
• 2007: Winner of the EFFIE award for the `fuel efficiency campaign Topper of the JD Power IQS in its segment for 2 years i.e 2004 and 2005
• 2011: JD POWER APEAL.