Maruti’s new 800 is the most anticipated car in India. The old 800 was the car of the masses and the new one is expected to repeat the same magic. Around a month back we had shown you the undisguised pictures of the Maruti’s new 800 and reported that the car will be launched around Diwali. The pictures had revealed all the exterior details of the car and the fact that it will be more spacious than the present Alto.
Thanks to Autocar India we now have more details of the car which are as follows:
- The new 800 will be powered by the same 796cc three-cylinder motor (F8D) from the Alto.
- The engine will be modified to meet the latest emission norms.
- The car will have a wider, U-shaped rear-windscreen for better visibility.
- There will be a wide tailgate for better accessibility to the cargo bay.
- The new 800 is likely to share a lot of running gear with the current car.
- It will also have a basic but cost-effective MacPherson strut setup in front and a coil spring torsion beam axle at the rear.
- Better interior packaging to maximize space utilization.
- Better crash protection than the old car too, thanks to the Alto’s more up-to-date chassis.
The new 800 will not only be an replacement for the old 800 but it will also replace the existing Alto F8 ie. the 800 cc version of the Alto. The car will compete head-on with the Tata Nano and Maruti is working hard to price the new 800 as close as possible to the Nano.