Virdi-Amona bridge to be completed by 2016 End
Work on the Virdi-Amona bridge has been resumed which was stopped due to a legal tangle over land issue which has been finally settled.
The Virdi-Amona brige will be a boon for travellers from Marcela, Ponda and Panjim who want to go directly to Bicholim and currently have to travel from Sanquelim.
More than 9 years have passed since foundation stone had been laid
The foundation stone was laid nine yeas ago by then chief minister Pratapsing Rane on April 4, 2007 in the presence of then power minister Digambar Kamat. Then BJP government re-laid the foundation stone on October 13, 2013 and then chief minister Manohar Parrikar assured that the bridge would be a reality within 18 months.
It’s now more than 3 years and the bridge is still not complete. The work has been restarted and the bridge is likely to be completed by December 2016 (hopefully).
The bridge will be useful for people of Virdi, Kudne, Navelim etc commuting to Panaji and other areas as it reduces the distance by nearly 15 kms.
About the Virdi-Amona Bridge
- Project Start Date Jan 19 2014
- Project End Date Mar 31 2016
- Two lane bridge having length of 220 m, carriageway width of 7.5m with footpaths of 2.25 m on either side.
- Approach road on Amona side : 1650 m.
- Approach road on Virdi side : 380 m.
- Bridge will have signature lighting with high quality LED fittings.
- Design & Construction of Bridge across river Zuari between Amona and Virdi.
- Taluka: Bicholim Amona & Virdi
- Contractors M/s. M. Venkata Rao Infra Projects Pvt. Ltd.
- Consultants – M/s. Madhav Kamat & Associates
- Project cost – Approx Rs. 30 crores