Land Rover unveiled the much awaited Range Rover Sport in New York, which is the also the biggest marker for the SUV. Hollywood movie, actor Daniel Craig revealed the all-new Range Rover Sport as part of a dramatic drive through one of the world’s most dynamic cities. The fastest, most agile and responsive Land Rover to date was put to the test by the British actor, who was entrusted to deliver the vehicle for its first unveiling to the world.
Developed alongside the highly-acclaimed Range Rover, the all-new Range Rover Sport now delivers the brand’s best-ever on-road dynamics together with class-leading, genuine Land Rover all-terrain capability, while presenting customers with a more assertive and muscular exterior, more luxurious interior and the flexibility provided by the option of occasional 5+2 seating.
Exploiting Land Rover’s breakthrough lightweight suspension design and innovative dynamic chassis technologies, the new Sport’s all-new, first-in-class aluminum architecture achieves a weight saving of over 500kg (comparing four cylinder petrol with current V8 petrol).
Designed and engineered at Land Rover’s development centres in the UK, the new model will be produced in a state-of-the-art low-energy manufacturing facility at Solihull, UK.
The all-new Range Rover Sport will ultimately be introduced in 169 markets worldwide.
Key features of the Range Rover Sport
Introduced in 4 variants: SE, HSE, Supercharged & Autobiography
- Powered by a choice of two diesel and a petrol engines
Two engines will be available initially: the 500bhp 5.0-litre supercharged V8, and a 287bhp 3.0-litre six cylinder turbodiesel. The diesel options will grow next year to encompass a 254bhp V6, a 4.4-litre 335bhp V8 (with a useful 700Nm of torques), and a diesel hybrid (just 169g/km of CO2s for that one). Fastest, most-agile, and responsive Land Rover ever
- All-new high strength aluminum structure provides a weight savings approximately 800lbs. over the previous generation Range Rover Sport
- Improved agility and exceptional performance with improved fuel economy and reduced emissions
- New 5+2 third row seating option for occasional use
- Choice of 340hp supercharged V6 or a 510hp supercharged V8 engines
- Standard eight speed automatic transmission by ZF
- Choice of transfer cases – single speed Torsen or two-speed locking with low range
- Advanced electronic driver assistance technologies
- Superbly crafted, luxurious interior
- Standard Intelligent Stop/Start technology to improve fuel economy and reduce emissions
- Available new fully automatic Terrain Response® 2 system
- Exceptional on-road dynamics and all-terrain performance provides an unrivalled breadth of capability
- The full range of design options available to Range Rover Sport customers will include:
- 11 interior color themes, plus additional choice of seat color
- 4 aluminum interior finishes, 3 real wood veneers
- 3 headliner colors
- 19 exterior paint finishes
- 3 contrast roof colors – Corris Grey, Santorini Black or Indus Silver
- Wheel options from ranging from 19-22 inches
- Atlas Silver, Dark Atlas or Gloss Black finish for the exterior accents
- Illuminated side sills
- The full suite of active safety features(3) on the new Range Rover Sport includes
- Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)
- Roll Stability Control (RSC)
- Electronic Traction Control (ETC)
- Trailer Stability Assist (TSA)
- Hill Descent Control (HDC) and Gradient Release Control (GRC)
- Hill Start Assist (HSA)
- Engine Drag Torque Control (EDC)
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
- Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD)
- Emergency Brake Lights (EBL)
- Emergency Brake Assist (EBA)
- Corner Brake Control (CBC)
- Electronic Park Brake (EPB) – activates directly on the rear brake calipers and has been engineered to provide smooth and refined automatic disengagement.
India launch is expected by second half of 2013 and we may see the Sport hit the roads during Diwali.