Upbeat on India’s automobile industry growth, General Motors (GM) plans to launch six new models in the domestic market over the next 24-months besides substantially hiking its marketing spend to boost sales, a top company official said.
The auto major already sells eight products such as Spark and Beat (mini cars), hatchbacks like Aveo UVA and sedans like Aveo, Optra and Cruze in the luxury segemnt. It also has the Tavera in the SUV segment.
The models expected in the next 24 months:
1) Beat LPG: The Beat LPG is expected to be launched by year end. The LPG variant will sport the same 1.2 petrol engine with additional LPG kit.
2) Beat Diesel: The Beat Diesel is expected in 2011. Once launched will sure create more Buzz, Chevrolet needs a small diesel hatch to take on its competitors. If priced around 4 lakhs will surely be a good buy.
3) Tavera with BS4 engine: Chevrolet Tavera which is discontinued in the metros, due to strict emission norms will be re-launched with ICML’S Rhino CRDI engine. We also expect some cosmetic changes by Chevrolet to give the Tavera more life and a fresher look.
4) Wuling Honghuang: Chevrolet which has tied up with SAIC –GM will launch latest Wuling Honghuang MUV in India. The new offering will be pitted against Mahindra Xylo and Toyota Innova. Expected by end 2011 or early 2012.
5) Wuling Sunshine: The Wuling Sunshine will be pitted against Maruti Eeco and yet to be launched Tata’s Venture. We expect aggressive pricing and will be launched around 2011 end.
6) Goods carrier: Chevrolet also plans to enter the Tata Ace segment with the launch of a similar product. Expected by end 2011 or early 2012.
The uitility vehicles, a passenger carrier and one goods carrier, would be manufactured from the company’s Halol unit in Gujarat.
7) Captiva Facelift: to take on the New Hyundai Santa Fe, Mitsubishi Pajero & Outlander and Toyota’s Fortuner, Chevrolet will launch the all new facelifted Captiva, which was recently shown at the Paris Motor show. Expected early 2011.
.8) Chevrolet Sail Twins: Chevrolet Sail was the first product developed by SAIC completely on its own and has tremendous scope in emerging markets. The Twins will be launched in 2012. We hope they are revealed at the 2012 auto expo.
9) Aveo Twins: The Aveo Twins will be followed by the Sail twins. The new Aveo was revealed at the 2010 Paris motor show, and draws a lot of cues from the new Chevrolet design theme.
We also expect some refresh for the Spark and the Optra range.
So the next 24 months is going to see a lot of action from Chevrolet’s stable.
Stay tuned to Goa on Wheels for more updates..