At the northernmost point of the Goan coast, 42 kms from Panaji and perched above the sea on a small hill by the Terekhol river, is the Terekhol Fort.
It is also known as Fort Tiracol.
The fort is now partly converted into a heritage hotel. It was built in the 17th century by Maharaja Khem Sawant Bhonsle, then capture and rebuilt by the Portuguese in 1974.
In 1825, it was used as a base for one of the earliest rebellions against the Portuguese. The leader of this rebellion was Dr. Benardo Peres da Silva. His attempt at revolt failed and the fort returned to the Portuguese.
The Church of St. Anthony was built 100 years ago in the fort’s courtyard but these days it is only opened during the annual feast, in May.
A ferry from Querim takes visitors to the fort.
The Fort Tiracol is open to the public every day from 9.00am to 7.00pm.
What else to see at Terekhol Fort
- Seashore at Terekhol
- Memorial to the freedom fighters of Goa
- St Andrew’s Church
- Statue of St Andrew