GOA- Foundation stone for 8-lane new Zuari bridge laid
2016 has started with some good news for fellow Goans. The Union surface transport minister Mr. Nitin Gadkari laid the foundation stone for the proposed new Zuari bridge on the river Zuari as a gift to Goa. The new Zuari bridge which is the lifeline connecting the North with the South is going to set new standards in terms of infrastructure projects in this small state of Goa.
The proposed bridge is an 8 lane cable stayed bridge to be built at an estimated cost of Rs. 2,700 crores. The CM of Goa Mr. Laxmikant Parsekar has assured the construction work on the bridge is expected to be completed within three years.
The new bridge over River Zuari will be constructed in three phases and will build parallel to the existing bridge. The tender for the Zuari Bridge, along with both side access roads, will be opened on January 14.
This historic event was also graced by Hon’ble Defense Minister Shri. Manohar Parrikar Ji, Hon’ble Minister of State, Ministry for AYUSH Shri. Shripad Naik Ji, Minister of P.W.D Shri. Ramkrishna Dhavlikar Ji and by other dignitaries.
Video of proposed bridge
Quick snapshot of the existing bridge
- 1983 – the bridge was commissioned
- 1999- The initial repair work was in 1999 after Ireland-based engineering consultant; M/s Mott McDonald inspected the bridge and found that the P-5 span of the bridge had developed horizontal cracks.
- 2006, June 16 another hairline cracks in its upper deck on pier 5 was discovered
- 2008, two cracks along two spans – 5 and 6 – were discovered
- 2009 PWD prepared repair estimates and submitted to government
Watching tower and a restaurant
The new Zuari Bridge will also house two galleries which would be used a watching tower and a restaurant a first in the country and probably in the world.
Projects worth Rs 10,000 crore announced
The central government has sanctioned nearly Rs 10,000 crore projects for the State.
Development projects on NH- 17 and NH-18 which consists of Margao Western National Highway Bypass, Cancona National Highway Bypass and construction of missing link of NH-17B from Loutolim to Verna were also announced.
350 kms of road covering Karaswada, Honda, Sanquelim and Usgao would be declared a new national highway route.
- 5000 crores for the four-laning of National Highways 4A and 17B
- 2,000 crores for elevated corridor from Panjim to Belgum
- 2,500 crores for six-laning of NH 17 from Patradevi to Polem
- 298 crores for Canacona by-pass with three bridges
- 297 crores for Margao bypass
- 187 crores Verna missing link
- 2,700 crores for building the new 8 lane Zuari bridge
- Rs 200 crore funds under road safety for development and maintenance of accident prone areas in the State
Besides this the Goa the government has also proposed Rs 1200 crore project, wherein the entire coastal highways would be developed.
Pic Courtesy – Hercules