GoaOnWheels reader Kevin Fernandes gets featured and shares his experience about one of his favorite car: The Honda Civic Type R. The Honda Civic Type R is the highest performance version of the Civic made by Honda Motor Company of Japan. In Europe the company markets the hatchback variant only.
In India we get the 3 box sedan only.
Let me first give a glimpse of the Honda Civic Type R (EP3)
The European Civic is quite different from the normal Civic which features a lightened and stiffened body, specially tuned engine and upgraded brakes and chassis.
The car boats red interiors to give it a special sporting distinction and to separate it from other Honda models. In Japan, a one-make series of Honda Type R cars where privateers can purchase an off-road Type R and compete in a series championship is a stepping stone for many aspiring racing drivers.
In 2001 Honda introduced the next generation of the Civic Type R (EP3) as a unique 3-door hatchback to the UK market, which was manufactured in Swindon, England.
This EDM (European Domestic Market) Civic Type R featured a 200 PS (150 kW; 200 hp) 2.0L i-VTEC engine (K20A2) and the regular Type R treatment of seam welding, close ratio 6-speed transmission and uprated brakes, but did not include some of the other higher-end features, such as the helical LSD and red Recaro race-seats, that were standard in the previous generation EK9.
However, Honda of Japan marketed a JDM (Japanese domestic market) version of the EP3 (which was exclusively manufactured in Swindon,UK and was shipped to Japan), which retained the highly renowned helical LSD similar to that of the EK9 and red Recaro race-seats.
Other differences included a more track-oriented chassis/undercarriage settings as compared to the EDM, as well as a 215 PS (158 kW; 212 hp) i-VTEC engine (K20A) had a fully balanced crankshaft assembly with different intake manifold, exhaust manifold, higher-lift camshafts, higher-compression pistons, chrome-moly flywheel and ECU programming.
All of the Japan-spec K20A Type-R powertain were built in Japan and were shipped to the Swindon to be install in the Japan-spec Type-R EP3. The JDM EP3 was also available in the traditional Type R championship white while the EDM was not. The EDM has more relaxed gear ratios and some high rpm torque traded for low rpm torque compared to the JDM .
I owned this car in 2010 and it was completely standard. Its a 2004 model and its 8 years old and still going strong. I did do a dyno run at surrey rolling road to see what power she has and to my surprise the result came up with 200.7 hp. The standard manufactures Bhp is 197.The increase in the 3 Bhp over manufactures meant a lot to me. I always do a regular oil change after 5K miles which keeps her healthy.
I always wanted to own a Milano Red and wanted to upgrade her according to my taste. My car was featured in one of the top car magazines in UK (Fast Car Magazine and Total Honda Magazine).
Below are the list of specs I have managed to put into her and also there are some specs on my wish list at the bottom.
- M FACTORY LSD FITTED@ TGM SPORT
- STAGE 1 COMPETITION CLUTCH @ TGM SPORT
- LIGHT WEIGHT COMPETITION FLY WHEEL @TGM SPORT
- K&N TYPHOON INDUCTION FOR WINTER
- TEGIWA GRUPPE M
- SHUTTLE TIDY UP(DENT-REMOVER)
- EP3 LOWER FRONT ENGINE MOUNTS @TGM SPORT
- SUPERSPRINT UNSILENCED B PIPE
- DC SPORTS 4-2-1 EXHAUST MANIFOLD(CERAMIC VERSION)
- SCORPION BACK BOX
- NEUSPEED SHORT SHIFTER
- BC RACING BR COILOVERS RA SERIES FITTED @ HOND-R
- BUDDYCLUB REAR ADJUSTABLE CAMBER KIT @ HOND-R
- GENUINE HONDA ANTI ROLL BAR BUSHES @ HOND-R
- POWERFLEX ENGINE MOUNTS
- E-TEC STRUT BRACE
- STOPTECH FRONT GROOVED FRONT DISCS
- FERODO RACING DS 2500 FRONT PADS
- BREMBO REAR PADS
- OEM REAR DISCSWHEELS
- OEM WHEELS POWDER COATED IN GLOSS WHITE @ WHEEL SPECIALIST
- TOYO PROXIES T1R 205/45/17INTERIOR
- SONY BLUETOOTH HEADUNIT
- UPGRADED ALPINE SPEAKERS ( FRONT AND REAR)
- VIBE EVO 10” SUB WOOFER WITH INBUILT AMP 1300WEXTERIOR
- YELLOW TRS TOW STRAP
- FRONT AND REAR CUSTOM H BADGES
- SEIBON MUGEN SPOILER .. FITTED @HOND-R
- CARBON MUGEN GRILL
- FRONT WINDOWS “LIGHT TINTS”
- PAINTED CALIPERS WITH BRIGHT RED AND TYPE R DECAL
- FRONT POSITION WHITE LIGHTS
- JDM SQUARE REAR PLATE 12X6
- PRE-FACELIFT REAR LIGHTS FITTED
- NUMBER PLATE WHITE LIGHTS
- 8000K HID KIT
- SOME JDM DECALSFUTURE PLANS
- DC5 BREMBO BRAKES
- JDM YELLOW FOGS
- DC5 RED RECARO SEATS
- CARBON WRAP HOOD IN GLOSS
- ROTA GRIDS(BRONZE)
- HKS HI POWER EXHAUST
- RBC OR SKUNK 2 INLET MANIFOLD
- SKUNK 2 CONTROL ARMS
- LOWER TIE REAR BRACE
- SMOOTH BUMPER WITH MUGEN FRONT LIP